Friday, July 15, 2011

July 15th, 2011 - Day 06 of 60

I'm in a bit of a cool-down period right now while typing, so please forgive my occasional sweat droplets.  I have a good-sized garden that keeps me far too busy.  For whatever reason, my greens didn't want to grow properly this season.  I had some, but nothing like normal.  I did start them late as we had flooding at about the time I would normally plant, so everything is a bit behind.  So today I went ahead and planted eight trays of various greens and leafy things. I love them in my smoothies and I love eating them.  So, I figured I'd start some now in trays and then I'll put another crop in the ground at the end of August or early September.  I had to put the trays up on our patio table as the cat might think... well, you know.

Yes, when it comes to planting, timing is crucial.  I also think that the timing of my Reboot was fortuitous as well.  I happened to see Joe's documentary just when beginning the Reboot would not only be convenient, but it would have some emotional power behind it as well.  I think I mentioned earlier that my Reboot will end on my 51st birthday.  I have no idea how my Reboot will play out.  I might do a week of juice/smoothies or I might do a month.  I might even do two months, but probably not. While I have a few pounds to lose, I am in pretty good shape for a grandpa.  And, as I've said earlier, this isn't just about losing weight.  This is about feeling better.  I already feel much, much better.  It is also about getting some control and discipline back in my life.  So, two months of juice or smoothies might not be for me, but we'll see. Once I am back on the solid foods it will be raw and vegan until my birthday.  At that point I'll consider the Reboot portion of this journey complete and then hope to do a better job of taking care of myself thereafter.  The timing is also good in that it is summer and there are lots of farmer's markets in my area.  Pretty much one for each day of the week.  Plus, all the produce in the stores will be local and fresh and priced competitively.  I am also fortunate as the timing caught me at a moment when I was already contemplating a change, but didn't have the motivation or vision to do it.  Joe gave me encouragement, but it was really Phil Staples that made me stop procrastinating and just do it.  I was/am so proud of Phil and I always cry at the end with him running and playing with his son.  The timing was also good as I have a couple dear friends who have health issues.  I gave the film to one of them and will give it to the other after I'm done with the sixty days.   I am not a doctor, but I do know that eating good food can do nothing but help someone's health.  My hope is that by doing this program I will encourage my friends back to health.    And, regarding timing, I think I've spent enough time on this subject.

My first day off from work for a bit more than a week.  Other than shopping for smoothie and juice ingredients I just did the little gardening and another half of the yoga video.  Oh, I washed the car, too.  The weight went down a bit more than I thought, so I may need to watch my water intake as I am probably dehydrating.  I know I am not losing fat that quickly.

The red smoothie was the result of kale, parsley, cucumber, celery, hemp seed, frozen cherries, a frozen banana and a beet.  Note:  Always wash your beets thoroughly.  I can drink anything, but I don't like the dirt remnants.  Yuck!

They say timing is the first thing to go.  I think all of our timing is spot on.  Keep up the good work everyone.

Progress:
I am 10% through the 60 days.




Weight: 162.4 lbs.

Food: Fruit/Veg Smoothie with Hemp Seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment